Prof. Adrian Ziderman
Adrian Ziderman is Sir Isaac Wolfson Professor in Economics and Business Administration. He was born in the UK and educated at Cambridge and Stanford universities and at the London School of Economics (Ph.D.). He is a former UK State Scholar and Fulbright Scholar. His main fields of specialty are: labour markets and labour force participation; the economics, evaluation and finance of vocational education and training; and university funding, including student loans and cost-sharing. He is Editor of the International Journal of Manpower, Research Fellow at the IZA in Bonn Germany and Guest Professor at Huazhong University of Science and Technology (HUST), Wuhan, China.
He was formerly senior economist for human resources at the World Bank and has served as a consultant to international organizations, including UNESCO, the World Bank, the British Council, DANIDA and the Asian Development Bank, as well as to government ministries in Israel, Kenya, Lesotho, Mozambique, Namibia, the Philippines, South Africa, the Sudan, Tanzania, Thailand, Turkey, the UK and Zambia. He is Chair of the Schnitzer Foundation for Research on the Israel Economy and Society
- Books and Monographs:
- The Utilization of Educated Manpower in Industry, London School of Economics and Political Science and Oliver and Boyd, 1967, (with Mark Blaug and M. H. Peston), 1967. North American edition: Toronto University Press, 1967.
- Manpower Training: Theory and Policy, Macmillan Studies in Economics, London: Macmillan, 1978.
- Skills for Productivity: Vocational Education and Training in Developing Countries, New York: Oxford University Press, 1993 (with John Middleton and Arvil V. Adams).
- Financing Universities in Developing Countries, Stanford Series on Education and Public Policy. London: Falmer Press, 1995 (with Douglas Albrecht).
- Student Loans in Thailand; Are they Effective, Equitable, Sustainable? Bangkok: UNESCO, 2003 Chinese edition, Peking University, 2008
- Financing Vocational Training in Sub-Saharan Africa, Washington, D.C.: The World Bank, 2003
- Policy Options for Student Loan Schemes, Paris: International Institute for Educational Planning, UNESCO, 2004 Vietnamese edition, UNESCO, Hanoi, 2006 Chinese edition, Peking University, 2008
- "Leisure Activities of Jewish Teenagers in London," Jewish Journal of Sociology, December 1966.
- Reprinted in:
- Betfutsot Hagolah, 10, 3/4. (46/47) (Hebrew).
"Utilization of Qualified Manpower in British Industry," in Proceedings of the Policy Conference on Highly Qualified Manpower, Paris: O.E.C.D, 1967 (with Mark Blaug and M.H. Peston).
"Costs and Benefits of Adult Retraining in the U.K.," Economica, November 1969.
"The Economic Return on Investment in Higher Education in England and Wales," Economic Trends, May 1971 (with Vera Morris).
"Rates of Return on Investment in Education: Recent Results for Britain," Journal of Human Resources, Winter 1973.
- "Does it Pay to Take a Degree? The Profitability of Private Investment in University Education in Britain," Oxford Economic Papers, July 1973.
- Reprinted in:
- C. Baxter, P.J. O'Leary, A. Westoby (editors). Economics and Educational Policy,
- Longman and the Open University Press, 1977.
"A Markov Chain Model of the Benefits of Participating in Government Training Schemes," The Manchester School, December 1973 (with C. Driver).
"Estimating U.S. Human Capital Loss in Southeast Asia," Journal of Human Resources, Fall 1973.
"On the Ranking of Social Investment in Education," Public Finance, No. 3, 1973.
"Cost Benefit Analysis of Government Training Centres in Scotland: A Simulation Approach" in J.M. Parkin and A.R. Nobay (editors), Contemporary Issues in Economics, Manchester University Press, 1975.
"Trade Unions and the Acceptability of GTC Trainees: Some Survey Results," British Journal of Industrial Relations, March 1975 (with Annamarie Walder).
"Costs and Benefits of Manpower Training Programmes in Great Britain," British Journal of Industrial Relations, July 1975.
- "Evaluation of Manpower Programmes: Control Groups Versus Before-after Comparisons," The Journal of Industrial Relations, March 1976.
- Reprinted in:
- L.F. Moore and L. Charach (editors), Manpower Planning: An Anthology, Institute of
- Industrial Relations, University of British Columbia,1979.
- "The Regional Location of Training Centres in Britain: A Cost-Benefit Approach," International Journal of Social Economics, Vol. 4 No. 1, 1977.
- Reprinted in:
- B.O. Pettman (editor), Government Involvement in Training,M.C.B. University Press, 1978.
- "Cost-Benefit Analysis and the Location of G.T.C. Capacity: A Rejoinder," International Journal of Social Economics, Vol.4 No.3, 1977.
- Reprinted in:
- B.O.Pettman (editor), Government Involvement in Training, M.C.B. University Press, 1978.
"The Economics of Educational Policy," in R.M. Grant and G.K.Shaw (editors), Current Issues in Economic Policy, London, Philip Allan, 1980.
"On the Valuation of Accident Cost Savings," Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, May 1981.
"Hours of Instruction in Secondary High Schools: Theory and Practice," Megamot, September 1981 (Hebrew) (with S. Rimler).
"Education, Screening and Human Capital," Economics Letters, Vol.6, No.1, 1981 (with E. Katz).
"Restrictive Practices, Training, and the Legal Profession in Scotland," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, November 1983.
"External Examination versus Internal Assessment: The Israeli Maturity Certificate," Comparative Education Review, August 1984.
"Free Enterprise and Jewish Law: A Review Article," Dine Israel, Volume 12, 1984- 1985.
"Do Universities Maintain Common Standards in Awarding First Degrees with Distinction? The Case of Israel," Higher Education, Vol. 14, 1985 (with S. Neuman).
"Towards a Theory of Incremental Wages Scales" Applied Economics, October 1986 (with E. Katz).
"How Does Fertility Relate to Religiosity: Survey Evidence for Israel," Sociology and Social Research, January 1986 (with S. Neuman).
"Testing the Dual Labor Market Hypothesis: Evidence from the Israel Labor Mobility Survey," Journal of Human Resources, Spring 1986 (with S. Neuman).
"Incomplete Information, Non-wage Benefits and Desirable-worker Self Selection," Australian Economic Papers, December 1986 (with E. Katz).
"The Remuneration Package and Pareto Inefficiency in the Labour Market," European Economic Review, 1987 (with E. Katz and U. Spiegel).
"Cancellation of Hours of Instruction at Secondary Schools in Israel: Survey Results," Megamot, April 1987 (Hebrew).
"Initial vs. Recurrent Training for Skilled Trades in Israel: Results of a Seven Year Follow-up Study," Economics of Education Review, Vol 6 No 2, 1987.
"Reducing the Use of Analgesics in General Medical Practice: Evaluation of a Health Education Programme," Patient Education and Counselling, April 1988 (with M.A. Weingarten, et al.).
"Alternative Training Modes for Youth in Israel: Results from Longitudinal Data," Comparative Education Review, May 1989.
"Jewish Education in Great Britain": Chapter 8 in H.S. Himmelfarb and S. Della Pergola (editors), Jewish Education Worldwide: Cross-Cultural Perspectives, Washington DC: University Press of America, 1989.
"The Economic Cost of Strikes in Israel: An Input-Output Approach," Issues in Economics. Annual Conference of the Israel Economic Association, Hebrew, 1989 (with S. Neuman).
"Vocational Secondary Schools Can be More Cost Effective than Academic Schools: An Israeli Case Study," Comparative Education, July 1989 (with S. Neuman).
"Making Vocational Training Effective,"Finance and Development, March 1990 (with J. Middleton and A.V. Adams).
"The Role of Educational Certification in Raising Earnings: Evidence from Israeli Census Data," Economics of Education Review, Vol. 9 No. 3, 1990.
"Financing Training in Developing Countries: The Role of Payroll Taxes," Economics of Education Review, Vol. 9, No. 4, 1990 (with J. Whalley).
- "Investment in General Training: The Role of Information and Mobility," Economic Journal, December, 1990 (with E. Katz).
- Reprinted in:
- D. Lamberton (Editor), The Ecomonics of Communication and Information, Edward Elgar 1995
- O. Ashenfelter and R. LaLonde (Editors), The Economics of Training, Edward Elgar, 1995
"Vocational Schooling, Occupational Matching and Labor Market Earnings in Israel," Journal of Human Resources, Spring 1991 (with S. Neuman).
Deferred Cost Recovery in Higher Education: Student Loan Programs in Developing Countries, Discussion Paper Series No. 137. Washington, DC: The World Bank, November 1991 (with D. Albrecht).
"Benefits of Women's Education within Marriage: Results for Israel in a Dual Labor Market Context," Economic Development and Cultural Change, January 1992 (with S. Neuman).
"Evidence on Screening: P Tests for Israel," Economics of Education Review, Vol. 11 No. 1. 1992.
Allocation Mechanisms in Higher Education: Financing for Stability, Efficiency and Responsiveness, Discussion Paper Series No. 153. Washington, DC: The World Bank, February 1992 (with D. Albrecht).
"Student Loans and their Alternatives: Improving the Performance of Deferred Payment Programs," Higher Education Vol. 22 No 3, (July) 1992 (with D. Albrecht).
"The World Bank's Policy Paper on Vocational and Technical Education and Training," Prospects, Vol. XXII No. 2, 1992 (with A. V. Adams and J. Middleton).
"Market-based Manpower Planning with Labour Market Signals," International Labour Review, Vol. 131 No. 3, 1992 (with A.V. Adams and J. Middleton).
"Cost Recovery for Higher Education: Are Student Loans an Effective Instrument?," World Bank Research Observer, Vol. 8 No. 1, 1993 (with D. Albrecht).
"Enhancing the Financial Stability of Universities in Developing Countries," in J. Salmi and A. Verspoor (Editors) Planning Higher Education in Developing Countries, Oxford: Pergamon Press, 1994.
"Many Paths to Skilled Employment: A Reverse Tracer Study of Seven Occupations in Colombia," Education Economics, Vol. 3 No. 1, 1995 (with R. Horn).
"National Service: A Form of Societal Cost Recovery for Higher Education," Higher Education, Vol. 29, 1995 (with D. Albrecht).
"National Programmes in Technical and Vocational Education: Economic and Education Relationships," Journal of Vocational Education and Training, Vol. 49, No. 3, 1997.
"Locating Graduates through Reunion Parties: Secondary Technical Education in Mozambique," Comparative Education Review, Vol. 41, No.2, 1997.
"Policy Research in Vocational Education and Training," International Journal of Manpower, Vol. 18 No.1/2, 1997 (with J. Middleton).
"A Government Role in Training Markets in Developing Countries: Theory and Policy," in Sami Daniel et al (Editors), Essays in Honour of Bernard Corry and Maurice Peston, Edward Elgar, 1998 (with E. Katz).
"Reforming the Training System in South Africa: Constraints and Innovations," in Indermit Gill and F. Fluitman (Editors), Skills and Change: Constraints and Innovation in the Reform of Vocational Education and Training, Washington, DC: The World Bank, 1998 (with A.V. Adams).
"Vocational Education in Israel: Wage Effects of the VocEd-Occupational Match", Journal of Human Resources, Spring 1999 (with S. Neuman)
- "Alternative Objectives of National Student Loans Schemes: Implications for Design, Evaluation and Policy", Welsh Journal of Education, July, 2002
- Reprinted in:
- Peking University Education Review, No. 2, 2004 (in Chinese)
" Financing Student Loans in Thailand: Revolving Fund or Open-ended Commitment" Economics of Education Review, August 2002
"Work Histories of Israeli Men and Women", Discussion Paper No. 67-2003. Tel Aviv: The Pinhas Sapir Center for Economic Development, .August 2003
"Can Vocational Education Improve the Wages of Minorities and Disadvantaged Groups? The Case of Israel", Economics of Education Review, August 2003
"Student Loans in Thailand: from Social Targeting to Cost-sharing", International Higher Education, Winter 2005
- "Increasing Accessibility to Higher Education: A Role for Student Loans?" in S. Shishkin (Editor), Social Differentiation of Higher Education. Moscow: Pomatur, Independent Institute for Social Policy (in Russian), 2006
- English version is available at:
"The Role of the State in Financing Training", Peking University Education Review, No3 2007,(in Chinese)
"Financing Training by Payroll Levies" in Rupert Maclean and David N. Wilson (Editors), Handbook of Technical and Vocational Education and Training. Dordrecht, The Netherlands: Keuwer Academic Publishers, 2008
"Financing Vocational Education and Training", invited article in B. McGaw, E. Baker and P.P. Peterson (Editors), International Encyclopedia of Education, Third Edition, Oxford: Elsevier, 2008
- "Student Loans for Israel: Learning from International Experience" Rivon LeCalcalah (Economics Quarterly). 2009, forthcoming (in Hebrew)
- English version: The Samuael Neaman Institute, The Technion, Israel: Economics of
- Higher Education Series, No.6 , April 2008
"Promoting Access of the Poor through Student Loans: Prerequisites for Success", Higher Education in Europe, No 2, 2009
"Student Loans Repayment and Recovery: International Comparisons" (with Hua Shen) Higher Education, No 3, 2009
"Student Loans Repayment in China: Designing a New Model to Ease the Repayment Burden", Higher Education in Europe, No 2, 2009 (with Hua Shen and Hong Shen)
"Wage Mobility in Israel: the Effect of Sectoral Concentration", (with A. R. Cardoso and S. Neuman) "A New Model for Equitable and Efficient Allocation of Resources for Schools: The Israeli Case", (with Iris BenDavid-Hadar)
- Citizen of the United Kingdom and of Israel
- Married, with three sons, a daughter and fourteen grandchildren
- Moshav Gimzo, 73130, Israel
- Phone: (972) 8-9285260
- Phone and Fax: (972) 8-9285246
- Economics Department, Bar-Ilan University
- 52900 Ramat Gan, Israel
- Phone: (972) 3-5318394 or 5318921
- Fax: (972) 3-5353180 or 6351730
1959: B.A (hons) in Economics Downing College, Cambridge University, UK
1961: A.M. in Economics Stanford University, U.S.A.
1963: M.A. Cambridge University, UK
1973: Ph.D. in Economics London School of Economics & Political Science, UK
Stanford University: Instructor in Economics, 1960-1961
National Bureau of Economic Research, New York: Research Assistant, Summer 1961
The Economist Intelligence Unit, London: Staff member, January 1962-April 1964
London School of Economics and Political Science: Research Officer, Unit for
Economic and Statistical Studies on Higher Education, April 1964-September 1966
Queen Mary, University of London: Senior Lecturer in Economics, formerly
Lecturer, April 1966-July 1975
Tel-Aviv University: Associate Professor, Department of Labour Studies, October 1978-July 1980
Professor, formerly Associate Professor, Department of Economics and School of Education, October 1975-June 2006
Director, Economics Research Institute, October 1979-October 1984
Head of Economics Department, February 1980-March 1982
Chairman of the Schnitzer Foundation for Research on the Israel Economy and Society, 2003-2012;
Sir Isaac Wolfson Professor of Economics and Business Administration,
October 2002-June 2006
Professor Emeritus, from June 2006
University of British Columbia: Professor of Economics (visiting), Department of
Economics, July-December 1985
The World Bank, Washington, D.C.: Senior Economist, Population and Human
Resources, July 1987- September 1990
Guest Professor: Huazhong University of Science and Technology, China
Editor-in-Chief, International Journal of Manpower, from November 1997