Prof. Joel Guttman
325; Building : 504
Mail Box Number:
On Mondays and Thursdays btw 14:30-15:30 in accordance by mail - please note the consultation subject.
Political Economy, Public Economics, Economic Growth, Microfinance, Economics of Conflict, Social Norms, Endogenous Preferences, Evolution of Cooperation
Training and Professional Experience
- B.A., with honors, University of Chicago, economics, 1974
- M.A., University of Chicago, 1974, economics
- Ph.D., University of Chicago, 1976, economics
|1998 - present||Associate Professor, Department of Economics, Bar Ilan University, Ramat Gan, Israel|
|2003||Visiting Professor, Helsinki School of Economics|
|2002||Visiting Professor, Department of Economics, University of Southern California|
|1998||Visiting Professor, Department of Economics, Brown University|
|1998||Visiting Professor, Harris Graduate School of Public Policy Studies, University of Chicago|
|1995||Visiting Senior Research Fellow, Monash University, Melbourne, Australia|
|1989 - 1990||Olin Faculty Research Fellow, Yale Law School|
Outside Professional Affiliation
|2005 - present||Senior Fellow, Networks Financial Institute|
|1985 - 1998||Senior Lecturer, Department of Economics, Bar Ilan University|
|1983 - 1985||Lecturer, Department of Economics, Bar Ilan University|
|1979 - 1983||Lecturer, Department of Agricultural Economics, Hebrew University of Jerusalem|
|1976 - 1979||Acting Assistant Professor, Department of Economics, University of California, Los Angles|
|1976 - 1980||RAND Corporation, Population Studies Project and Energy Project|
Evolution of trust and cooperation, economic growth and conflict (internal and external), public economics, applied game theory, defense economics.
Fluent in English and Hebrew
Awards and Honors
|1988||International Fellowship, Institute for Policy Studies, Johns Hopkins University|
|1986||H.J. Heidekker Prize for Research in Applied Economics, University of Haifa|
|1974||Phi Beta Kappa|
Publications and Reports
- Ph.D. Dissertation: "The Demand for Publicly Financed Agricultural Research: An Application of a Theory of Collective Action," University of Chicago, August, 1976. Advisory committee: D. Gale Johnson (chairman), T.W. Schultz, Sam Peltzman, George Stigler
- "Avoiding Specification Errors in Estimating the Value of Time," Transportation (1975) 19 42.
- "Implicit Assumptions and Choices among Estimates of the Value of Time," Transportation Research Record, No. 534 (1975), 63-68.
- "Understanding Collective Action: Matching Behavior," American Economic Association (Papers and Proceedings), 68 (May 1978) 251-255.
- "Interest Groups and the Demand for Agricultural Research," Journal of Political Economy, 86 (June 1978) 467 484.
- "Uncertainty, the Value of Time, and Transport Policy," Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, 13 (May 1979) 225 29.
- "Villages as Interest Groups: The Demand for Agricultural Extension Services in India," Kyklos 33 (1980) 122 41.
- "The Economics of Tenant Rights in Nineteenth Century Irish Agriculture," Economic Inquiry, 18 (July 1980) 408 424. Reprinted in Svetozar Pejovich, ed., The Economics of Property Rights, Volume 2: Property Rights and Economic Performance. Elgar Reference Collection. International Library of Critical Writings in Economics, vol. 129. Cheltenham, U.K. and Northampton, Mass.: Elgar, pp. 520-36.
- "The Political Economy of Agricultural Extension Services in India," in Public Choice and Rural Development, eds. C.S. Russell and N.K. Nicholson (Washington D.C.: Resources for the Future, 1981).
- "Common Property Externalities: Isolation, Assurance, and Resource Depletion in a Traditional Grazing Context: Comment," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, 64 (November 1982) 781 782.
- "Can Political Entrepreneurs Solve the Free Rider Problem?" Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization 3 (1982) 357 366
- "Endogenous Conjectural Variations in Oligopoly," (with Michael Miller) Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization 4 (1983) 249 264.
- "Collective Action and the Supply of Campaign Contributions," European Journal of Political Economy, 1 (1985) 221 241.
- "Cooperation and Part Time Farming in the Israeli Moshav," (with Nava Haruvi) American Journal of Agricultural Economics 68 (Feb. 1986) 77 87.
- "Cooperation, Part Time Work, Capital, and Output in Moshavim," (with Nava Haruvi) (Hebrew) Israel Economic Quarterly 36 (1986) 602 615.
- "Matching Behavior and Collective Action: Some Experimental Evidence," Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization 7 (1986) 171 98.
- "Uncertainty, Continuous Modal Split, and the Value of Travel Time in Israel," (with Eli Menashe) Journal of Transport Economics and Policy 20 (September 1986) 369 75.
- "A Non Cournot Model of Voluntary Collective Action," Economica 54 (Feb.1987) 1 19.
- "Strategic Work Interactions and the Kibbutz Kolkhoz Paradox," (with A. Schnytzer) Economic Journal 99 (September 1989), 686 99.
- "Dynamic Optimization of Political Popularity in an Empirical Macroeconomic Model," (with Y. Shachmurove) Public Choice 66 (1990) 51 66. Hebrew version appeared in Investigations in the Israeli Economy 1988
- "Voluntary Collective Action," in Markets and Politicians: Politicized Economic Choice, ed. A.L. Hillman (Boston, Dordrecht, and London: Kluwer, 1991).
- "A Solution of the Externality Problem Using Strategic Matching," (with A. Schnytzer) Social Choice and Welfare 8 (1992) 73 88.
- "Rent Seeking and Social Investment in Taste Change," (with S. Nitzan and U. Spiegel) Economics and Politics 4 (March, 1992) 31 42.
- "The Credibility Game: Reputation and Rational Cooperation in a Changing Population," Journal of Comparative Economics 16 (December, 1992) 619-632.
- "Voting as Investment vs. Voting as Consumption: New Evidence," (with N. Hilger and Y. Schachmurove) Kyklos 47 (May, 1994) 197-207.
- "Rational Actors, Tit-for-Tat Types, and the Evolution of Cooperation," Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization 29 (1996) 27-56.
- "The Explanatory Power of Game Theory in International Politics: Syrian-Israeli Crisis Interactions, 1951-87," Economics and Politics, 9 (March, 1997) 71-85.
- "Unanimity and Majority Rule: A Reconsideration of the Calculus of Consent," European Journal of Political Economy, 14 (1998) 189-207
- "On the Evolutionary Stability of Preferences for Reciprocity," European Journal of Political Economy, 16 (2000) 31-50
- "Self-Enforcing Reciprocity Norms and Intergenerational Transfers: Theory and Evidence," Journal of Public Economics 81 (2001) 117-51.
- "Families, Markets, and Self-Enforcing Reciprocity Norms," Annales d' Economie et de Statistique, 63-64 (2001) 89-110.
- "Repeated Interaction and the Evolution of Preferences for Reciprocity," Economic Journal, 113 (July, 2003), 631-56.
- "On the Expansion of the Market and the Decline of the Family," (with N. Yacouel) Review of the Economics of the Household, 5 (March, 2007), 1-13.
- "Assortative Matching, Adverse Selection, and Group Lending," Journal of Development Economics, 87 (2008), 51-56.
- “On Revolt and Endogenous Economic Policy in Autocratic Regimes,” (with Rafael Reuveny) Public Choice, forthcoming. DOI: 10.1007/s11127-012-0012-3
- “On the Evolution of Conditional Cooperation,” European Journal of Political Economy , 30 (2013) 15–34.
- American Economic Review
- Journal of Political Economy
- Quarterly Journal of Economics
- Economic Journal
- Journal of Law and Economics
- Economica, American Journal of Agricultural Economics
- Journal of Comparative Economics
- Journal of Development Economics
- Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization
- Journal of Public Economics
- Journal of Public Economic Theory
- Economics and Politics
- European Journal of Political Economy
- International Review of Economics and Finance
- International Journal of Business and Economics
- Rationality and Society
- Zeitschrift fur Nationalokonomie
- GIF (German-Israel Scientific Foundation)
- Israel Science Foundation